Friday, February 29, 2008

Liberty Divided

Katie Brewer's editiorial certainly did create a commotion, but I support what she wrote. I have talked about a declining sense of spirit in the high school, and I think the polarization of groups is contributing to this epidemic. Within a larger context what Katie wrote is incredibly important. The latest performance of the Sapphires is just the most recent in a string of events that polarizes the community and the school. I remember the days when everyone attended spirit week assemblies, but now that is different. When the school loses respect for itself and when halftime shows aren't entirely family friendly, who can blame the student body and community at large for losing interest? I write this blog not to pick on any one or any single program. The Sapphires are incredibly talented and our athletes are awesome, but I think we need to reconsider the image we want as a school. Liberty has been a single community for a long time, in large part becasue of the high school. Lets not ruin that.

No comments: